Citrus sodas are non-alcoholic lemon lime-flavored carbonated beverages that many people enjoy. These refreshing soft drinks usually come in different taste and flavor varieties, depending on their respective brands.
So, you may be asking, amongst these varieties of citrus sodas, which are the top-rated? What are the best citrus sodas available?
Let’s get to it! Listed below are 8 of the best citrus soda you’ll find!
- Mountain Dew: Mountain Dew is one of the best citrus-flavored sodas around. It is currently owned and manufactured by PepsiCo, one of the largest food and beverage companies.
- While the production of this caffeinated soda began with only one variety, the citrus-flavored variant, it has grown to include several other varieties ranging from Diet Mountain Dew to Mountain Dew Red.
- Mello Yello: Mello Yello is a citrus-flavored soda with high amounts of caffeine. Produced and distributed by the Coca-Cola Company, this smooth-tasting soft drink was introduced in 1979. Interestingly, it was introduced as Coca-Cola’s response to PepsiCo’s Mountain Dew (before Surge soda).
- Aside from the citrus-flavored variant, which has a soft, unique taste, Mello Yello has three other variants of different flavored sodas, such as the Mello Yello Cherry, Mello Yello Melon, and the peach-flavored Mello Yello Afterglow.
- Ski: Manufactured by Excel Bottle Company, Ski soda is a citrus-based soft drink. It produces a unique taste with a refreshing combination of two primary flavors: orange and lemon.
- Sun Drop: Sun Drop is a highly caffeinated citrus-flavored soft drink owned by Keurig Dr Pepper, an American beverage company. It is primarily made from orange juice and has a yellow-green color made from tartrazine, an artificial food coloring.
- Sun Drop is one of the top sodas you can get, competing vigorously with PepsiCo’s Mountain Dew and The Coca-Cola Company’s Mello Yello.
- Sprite: Sprite is a caffeine-free lemon and lime-flavored soda produced by The Coca-Cola Company. Crisp, smooth, and refreshing but not overpowering is how you describe its fantastic taste. Sprite has several other flavors, including grape, orange, and ginger, and was primarily created as a competitor to Keurig Dr Pepper’s 7 Up.
- 7 UP: Owned by Keurig Dr Pepper but distributed worldwide by PepsiCo, 7 Up is one of the world’s oldest and best soda brands. The citrus-flavored soft drink is non-caffeinated and has a transparent color. While it has a lemon-lime flavored standard, its primary flavor is lime with a hint of lemon.
- Sierra Mist: Sierra Mist is another citrus-flavored soda. Crisp, refreshing, and with natural flavors, this non-caffeine soda combines soda bubbles and an excellent lemon-lime taste. Owned by PepsiCo, it is regarded as one of the best clear-colored citrus sodas.
- Teem: Teem is a lemon-lime flavored soda produced by The Pepsi-Cola Company. It is a refreshingly unique soda flavored with the richest lemon. Drinking this carbonated drink first leaves you with a gentle, sweet taste, followed closely by a bitter lemon-lime taste.
- Teem soda includes several other flavored varieties, including Teem Soda Water, Teem Lemon, Teem Pina, and others.
What Is The Best Caffeinated Citrus Soda?
Sun Drop is the best caffeinated citrus soda!
This famous soda is one of the most caffeinated sodas, containing 64 mg of caffeine in a 12 oz serving (5.33 mg per 1 fl oz) of regular Sun Drop. This is almost twice the amount of caffeine in Coca-cola and half of the caffeine in coffee of the same serving size.
However, fans of the soft drink do not mind its high caffeine content and agree that it contributes to the great taste of the citrus soda!
While most flavors of this citrus soda contain caffeine, including Sun Drop Diet and Sun Drop Cherry Lemon, Keurig Dr Pepper also produces caffeine-free versions of the soft drink.
The beverage company manufactures Sun Drop Caffeine-free and Sun Drop Diet Caffeine-free, which both contain 0 mg of caffeine without losing the taste of the fizzy drink. These variants are perfect for soda drinkers who are wary of the caffeine content in the soft drink.
What Is the Best Sugar-free Citrus Soda?
Sodas are widely considered unhealthy due to their high sugar level, caffeine level, and artificial sweeteners, among other reasons. However, their sugar content is a significant cause of worry for many people.
Sugar-free sodas help to maintain healthy body weight and avoid unpleasant rises in blood sugar levels.
So, what is the best sugar-free citrus soda?
If you want the same bold and exhilarating lime taste of your favorite citrus soda but without the sugar and calories, Mountain Dew Zero Sugar is your best bet!
This refreshing soda is an excellent option for mixed parties and gatherings, as you do not have to bother about who is on a sugar diet.
Mountain Dew Zero Sugar is an upgrade to Diet Dew, which was introduced first by the same manufacturer in 1986, with a notably better taste and flavor. And because it does not contain brominated vegetable oil, many drinkers think it is the best diet soda around.
Although sugar-free variants of sodas do not contain sugar and calories, they are packed with various artificial sweeteners that may be as unhealthy as sugar.
Finding a citrus soda with the right blend of brand, flavor, and type can be a bit challenging. However, citrus sodas such as Zevia, Sun Drop, Mountain Dew, Mello Yello, and Sierra Mist have all proven to be some of the top citrus sodas around.
While several caffeinated sodas are available, Bawls Guarana stands out as the best-caffeinated soda and the soda with the most caffeine.
To maintain a healthy life, not all sodas are ideal. Due to the varying amount of calories, sugar quantity, and caffeine, it’s advisable to know the content of the sodas you drink.
Also, while you enjoy your soft drink, ensure you do not drink it excessively!