Citrus sodas are non-alcoholic lemon lime-flavored carbonated beverages that many people enjoy. These refreshing soft drinks usually come in different taste and flavor varieties, depending on their respective brands.
So, you may be asking, amongst these varieties of citrus sodas, which are the top-rated? What are the best citrus sodas available?
Let’s get to it! Listed below are 8 of the best citrus soda you’ll find!
- Mountain Dew: Mountain Dew is one of the best citrus-flavored sodas around. It is currently owned and manufactured by PepsiCo, one of the largest food and beverage companies.
While the production of this caffeinated soda began with only one variety, the citrus-flavored variant, it has now, over the years, grown to include several other varieties ranging from Diet Mountain Dew to Mountain Dew Red.
- Mello Yello: Mello Yello is a citrus-flavored soda with high amounts of caffeine. Produced and distributed by the Coca-Cola Company, this smooth-tasting soft drink was introduced in 1979.
Interestingly, it was introduced as Coca-Cola’s response to PepsiCo’s Mountain Dew (before Surge soda).
Aside from the citrus-flavored variant, which has a soft, unique taste, Mello Yello has three other variants of different flavored sodas, such as the Mello Yello Cherry, Mello Yello Melon, and the peach-flavored Mello Yello Afterglow.
- Ski: Manufactured by Excel Bottle Company, Ski soda is a citrus-based soft drink. With a refreshing combination of two primary flavors: orange and lemon flavors, it produces a great, unique taste.
- Sun Drop: Sun Drop is a highly caffeinated citrus-flavored soft drink owned by Keurig Dr Pepper, an American beverage company. It is primarily made from orange juice and has a yellow-green color made from tartrazine, an artificial food coloring.
Sun Drop is one of the top sodas you can get, competing vigorously with PepsiCo’s Mountain Dew and The Coca-Cola Company’s Mello Yello.
- Sprite: Sprite is a caffeine-free lemon and lime-flavored soda produced by The Coca-Cola Company. Crisp, smooth, and refreshing but not overpowering is how you describe its fantastic taste.
Sprite has several other flavors, including grape, orange, and ginger, and was primarily created as a competitor to Keurig Dr Pepper’s 7 Up.
- 7 UP: Owned by Keurig Dr Pepper but distributed worldwide by PepsiCo, 7 Up is one of the oldest and best soda brands in the world. The citrus-flavored soft drink is non-caffeinated and has a transparent color.
While it has a lemon-lime flavored standard, its primary flavor is lime with a hint of lemon.
- Sierra Mist: Sierra Mist is another citrus-flavored soda. Crisp, refreshing, and with natural flavors, this non-caffeine soda combines soda bubbles and an excellent lemon-lime taste.
Owned by PepsiCo, it is regarded as one of the best clear-colored citrus sodas.
- Sierra Mist: Sierra Mist is a lemon-lime flavored soda produced by The Pepsi-Cola Company. It is a refreshingly unique soda flavored with the richest lemon. Drinking this carbonated drink first leaves you with a gentle, sweet taste, followed closely by a bitter lemon-lime taste.
What Is The Best Caffeinated Citrus Soda?
Bawls Guarana is the best-caffeinated soda, with 102 mg per 16-ounce serving. Created in 1996 with a citrus-cream flavor, this soft drink is made with enormous amounts of caffeine and a natural Amazonian Guarana berry flavor.
What Is the Best Sugar-free Citrus Soda?
Sodas are widely considered unhealthy due to their high sugar level, caffeine level, and artificial sweeteners, among other reasons. However, their sugar content is a significant cause of worry for many people.
Sugar-free sodas help to maintain a healthy body weight and avoid unpleasant rises in blood sugar levels.
So, what is the best sugar-free citrus soda?
While there are several sugar-free citrus sodas, Zevia Citrus soda stands out. With its grapefruit flavor, zero sugar, and zero calories, it stands tall as one of the best sugar-free citrus sodas.
Which Orange Sodas Have Caffeine?
Most orange-flavored sodas are usually caffeine-free, however, Sunkist Orange Soda, Diet Sunkist, and Mountain Dew Live Wire are the few exceptions.
Keurig Dr Pepper’s Sunkist orange sodas contain 19 mg of caffeine per 12-ounce serving, and Mountain Dew Live Wire stands out as the most caffeinated orange soda with 54 mg of caffeine per 12-ounce serving.
Read about your favorite childhood soda here!
What Is The Unhealthiest Soda To Drink?
The unhealthiest sodas to drink are those with a deadly combination of high amounts of calories, caffeine, and sugar. While sodas are generally not considered healthy drinks, some are more harmful than others.
Some of the more harmful sodas include Sun Drop, Mountain Dew, Mello Yello, Sprite, Fanta, etc. Read here to know why root beer may be better for you than others.
Which Soda Has The Most Caffeine?
In sodas and other beverages, caffeine is a common stimulant. While some agree that its benefits outweigh its adverse effects, others do not.
So, which soda has the most caffeine?
There are several sodas with high amounts of caffeine, including Big Fizz Cola, Sun Drop, and Mello Yello. However, Bawl Guarana has the highest amount of caffeine, with 102 mg per 16-ounce serving. Pepsi Zero Sugar is not far behind, with 69 mg of caffeine per 12-ounce serving.
Finding a citrus soda with the right blend of brand, flavor, and type can be a bit challenging. However, citrus sodas such as Zevia, Sun Drop, Mountain Dew, Mello Yello, and Sierra Mist have all proven to be some of the top citrus sodas around.
While several caffeinated sodas are available, Bawls Guarana stands out as the best-caffeinated soda and the soda with the most caffeine.
To maintain a healthy life, not all sodas are ideal. Due to the varying amount of calories, sugar quantity, and caffeine, it’s advisable to know the content of the sodas you drink. Also, while you enjoy your soft drink, ensure you do not drink it excessively!